India Home (Deshi Senior Center) operates a Bangladeshi senior center for Bangladeshi senior citizens jointly with Jamaica Muslim Center.
India Home is a non-profit organization dedicated to address the needs of the larger South Asian senior citizen immigrant community (Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Nepali) living in Queens, New York City. Started in 2007 by a group of healthcare professionals, India Home provides social, psychological, recreational, and spiritual services in a culturally sensitive environment (in terms of religion, language, food, gender, etc).
The principal mission of India Home is to make a difference in the quality of life of seniors in a culturally sensitive way.
- Increase awareness and understanding of aging issues related with South Asian communities
- Increase the ability of Deshi senior citizens to remain active, healthy and living independently in their communities
- Develop and maintain communications with individuals and organizations within the community
- Develop community programs and activities for the benefit and enjoyment of the Deshi senior citizens
- Work with government agencies, education programs, social and civic organizations to advocate and improve the general well-being of senior citizens etc.
The center offers following services matching senior citizen’s need and India Home’s ability:
- Meal and nutrition programs including free Halal lunch
- Information and assistance
- Health, fitness, and wellness programs
- Transportation services
- Public benefits counseling
- Employment assistance, if needed
- Volunteer and civic engagement opportunities
- Social and recreational activities
- Educational art and craft programs
- Inter-generational programs, etc.
The center is open from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm at the following locations:
- Sunnyside Community Services: Mondays only
- Kew Gardens Center: Thursdays only
- Jamaica Muslim Center: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
- S.N.A.P of Eastern Queens: Wednesdays only