Jalalabad Association of America
Jalalabad Association of America, Inc. is an association created for people from Jalalabad area of Bangladesh. The name Jalalabad is used for Sylhet in honor of Hazrat Shah Jalal – a celebrated Sufi Muslim figure in Bangladesh. Jalalabad Association of America is based in New York City. The association follows six core values – “unity & inclusiveness”, “honesty & integrity”, “respect & accountability” in order to fillfil its mission to promote the wellbeing of the Sylheti people in USA. The association is committed to promote the well-being of the people of greater Sylhet region of Bangladesh living in America through their socio-cultural and economic development. The principal focus of Jalalabad Association is to provide all out support to the new immigrants from Sylhet region. Jalalabad Association of America offers its members education, leadership development, social development, hands on community service, advocacy, leadership, and more. The organization also provides scholarship to needy and talented students to new Bangladeshi immigrants, when possible.
The association has representation from Sylhet, Habiganj, Moulvibazar, and Sunamganj.
Activities of Jalalabad Association of America
- promote the well being of the people of greater Sylhet region living in America;
- provide all kinds of support to the new immigrants from Sylhet;
- provide scholarship to needy and talented students;
- build partnership with other organizations to spread the cooperation;
- organize advocacy, workshop, and outreach activities to help new immigrants;
- help members with affordable housing, tax filing, health care, job search, etc.
- help find internship opportunities for bright and aspiring young Bangladeshis;
- encourage the community members to register as voters and take part in civic activities;
- collect donation in cash and kind to help people; etc.
The association also organizes annual picnic, iftar party during Ramadan, reception, discussion, cultural programs for its members. The election to select executive committee are held at regular intervals, usually every three years.
President – Badrul H. Khan
General Secretary – Jewel Choudhury